Sunday, March 6, 2011

Falcon Cove Book Club and the Novel Publicity Twitterview

So this past Thursday, March 3rd, I got the opportunity to speak about MATHION for the first time. More importantly, I got the chance to speak directly to my potential readers. The place was Falcon Cove Middle School, almost right up the street from my house (but man was parking rough!). The audience was the Book Club, a very diverse group of about 15 or so 6th-8th graders.
Now, I don't believe the best way to "sell" a book is to simply lay it all out on the table and say "here it is, this is what it's about, go ahead and read it." So right from the start, I kept things very informal, and got to know them and their literary tastes. A lot of them liked Harry Potter, and one girl commented that she enjoyed James Patterson. When the inevitable subject of "Twilight" came about, naturally all the boys in the room started booing. I thought it was very funny, but hey, reading's reading. And besides, I've never read the series anyway so I have nothing to say about it.

Luckily, Ms. Alexander (the book club sponsor, and a wonderful host!) thought ahead and got pizza for the kids, so when they started getting excited and chatty about halfway through, she knew just how to calm them down. This was actually an amazing opportunity to really get on their level, and to ask them questions about reading and writing, and some of them even schooled ME on some series I hadn't read. Two students in particular, Brandon and Troy if memory serves, were very interested in the religious details of MATHION. It was a great experience and I can't wait to do it again!


In other news, on March 20th I will be doing an exclusive "twitterview" (I.e. Twitter interview) live via (what else?) Twitter. I encourage everyone who has a Twitter account to follow me on Twitter via @Mavonduri, and tune into the hashtag #emlyn to watch and submit your own questions via the #Mathion hashtag.

I am now proud to say that I've sold MATHION on three continents (and counting!) and I can't wait to see what's in store down the road. MATHION has now seen it's Amazon Kindle debut, and in honor of that MATHION is now available for only 99¢ across all major ebook platforms. Get your copy today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment